Friday, July 20, 2012

My favourite low cost recipes (Washing Detergent)

I have not purchased any commercial washing liquid in ages.  I prefer to make my own and at least then I know what  is actually cleaning my clothes.  There are so many on the market today and it is so confusing and honestly I just wanted something that cleaned my clothes and was gentle, not highly fragrant and something that was safe for septic and grey water.  I wanted a product that was safe enough to use on my garden.  Below is my recipe.  There are many different recipes on the internet.  I make mine without Borax.  Borax to me is still a chemical and cannot be used on the garden. 



1-2 cups of grated pure soap.  (Start saving soap scraps like our grandmothers did or sunlight is fine)

1.5 litres of water

1/2 cup washing soda (this is found in the washing powder isle.  It is about $3.50 a bag)


In a large saucepan on the stove melt the grated soap in the water.  I normally have it on a low setting until all the soap is dissolved.  Once it is dissolved turn the stove off.  Let cool.  When lukewarm add the washing soda and stir.  You will notice the liquid will start to thicken.  As it cools down keep stirring occassionally.  This will stop the lumps from forming.  Now if you like if you have any essential oils at home you can add some to the liquid.  Only a small amount is required.  This is not necessary but I normally have either lavender, eucalyptus or tea tree at home.  Now you need to add about 7 litres of cold water to the pot.  Once you have done this it is now ready to store.  I use old juice bottles for this.  Funnel into the bottles but don't fill to the top.  You will need to shake the bottle when you use as it will seperate.  You only need to use about a 1/4 of a cup for a full load of washing.  I wash only in cold water.  .   Now your washing liquid is ready to use.  You now have over 8 litres of washing powder which has cost you under $2.



1 comment: